Otley West Yorkshire
Local singers bring joy and hope to their community.
We are a community choir, consisiting of around 32 ladies, ranging in age from 40 to 80, based in the small market town of Otley , West Yorkshire. The choir is managed by a voluntary group of members and the only paid employee is our Musical Director. We formed in 1995, with some members having been ever-present.
We meet once a week and perform about 6 concerts per year in aid of local groups and charities eg 'Singing for the Brain', a group which brings music to dementia sufferers and their carers. We also perform regularly in Otley market place. Our latedt concert raised over £500 for 'Singing for the Brain' and Otley Action for Older People.
Our repertoire includes a wide variety of song, in three or four part harmony. We sing songs from around the world (Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hawaii). folksongs. spirituals and rock and roll!
Our members find great enjoyment in the weekly meetings and it provides a chance for mental stimulation and social interaction through the joy of music, as well as catering for needs in our local community and enhancing lives.
How would this funding have an impact on your community?
The funding would be beneficial to us in various ways:
* we should like to develop our work with 'Singing for the Brain' by holding more regular concerts to raise funds and also provide opportunities for dementia sufferes to sing with us
* we should like to extend this work by making regular visits to old people's homes to sing for the residents. The money would provide for extra rehearsals. publicity etc for these initiatives
* importantly we should like to widen our repertoire by buying and downloading more music, paying for copyrights and printing.
* The money would enable us to publicise more widely: fliers, posters etc and also develop and upgrade our website.
* another important use of the funding would be to make our choir more inclusive I.e. to subsisdise those who are not able to pay the fees.
* Our choir sings a cappella and it would also be useful to be able to buy a keyboard and percussion instruments to accompany us.
"'Singing in the choir is the highlight of the week. Having been told I couldn't sing , it's now a great surprise to find that I can!'
(Annie. new member)
'Choir has given me confidence. It lifts the spirit ' Lindsey Choir committee member
'As a full time carer, the choir is one of my beacons in the week.'
(Marion, choir member)
'I joined the choir because I was having a bad time in my personal life and needed something for me.Since joining, my life is fun and enjoyable'
(Bev , choir member)"
For more information visit: